Sorting the Thorn Mechanic
By: George Argyropoulos
To begin with, Thorns is an activated stat. It activates the instant it first gets damaged by a weapon. Once activated this is the process:
- Thorns will remain active for 10 seconds (barring overload or another Justice in the fleet).
- While active, it will deal 25 damage to the hull causing that damage for every single salvo/shot/mirv that damages the Justice (including splash fields).
- The damage dealt to the opposing hull is independent of the damage the Justice takes (in other words, the Justice will spit back 25 damage whether it gets damaged by 1 point or 1,000).
- The Thorns damage can not be mitigated. It is direct damage to the opponents health.
- At the end of the 10 seconds Thorns will have a 15 second cool-down (again, barring overload or another hull).
- Of note: Pinches/stuns will pause the timer/Thorns. It is not immune to that mechanic.
The next part is where the cool stuff happens...
Even worse for opponents, the Justice has a Berserk mechanic. This is activated when a friendly ship dies.
I know, I know, first thing I said to myself was 'Self, the damn thing only lasts for 20 seconds, if your Thorns lasts for 20 seconds, what good is the cool-down buff'?
To which I promptly replied 'Dummy, another ship died, you could be in the middle of a cycle at that point'.
Where was I? Oh... I was done. Yea, so, that is a quick synopsis of the Thorns mechanic. Hope it helps clarify it for you guys.